The Museo Nacional de Belles Artes is the primary national museum of Argentina and is located in the Recoleta area of Buenos Aires. It exhibits a permanent collection of Argentinean, South American and European Art, from the middle ages to the present including sculpture, painting and drawing. It is a public institution open to all and features a library which focuses on art history.
The Museo Nacional de Belles Artes originally opened in 1895 in a building on Florida Street, in central Buenos Aires. After moving multiple times, the museum was transferred to its present location on Avenida del Libertador in 1933, in a building that dates to 1870. The Museo Nacional de Belles Artes holds important works by 16th through 19th Century European artists such as El Greco, Zurbarán, Tiepolo, Goya, Courbet, Millet, Manet, Rodin, Manet, Pissarro, Sisley, Gauguin, Tolouse-Lautrec and Degas.
20th Century European and American artists are also represented in the museum’s collection such as Klee, Kandinsky, De Chirico, Carrà, Modigliani, Picasso, Léger, Fontana, Vasarely, Dubuffet, Henry Moore, Rothko, Pollock and Nevelson. 19th and 20th Centry Argentinean masters including Antonio Berni, Ernesto de la Cárcova, Eduardo Sívori, Lino Enea Spilimbergo, and Cesáreo Bernaldo de Quirós are also represented in the museum’s collection. In 2004, a branch of the Museo Nacional de Belles Artes was established in Neuquén, a city in Patagonia.
This extends the reach of the museum, allowing it to display the permanent collection outside of Buenos Aires and also mount travelling exhibitions. The Museo de Bella Artes also has an extensive fine arts library with 150,000 visual art magazines, journals, and books. Annexed alongside the galleries on the first floor, the public library overlooks the sculpture garden outside.